Pages

Friday, September 5, 2014

Interview with Natsuya Uesugi, author of grydscaen

ABOUT GRYDSCAEN

grydscaenTitle: grydscaen
Genre: Science Fiction/Fantasy
Author: Natsuya Uesugi
Publisher: Xlibris
EBook: 288 pages
Release Date: July 21, 2011

 Follow the lives of the main characters as they come together in the backstory to grydscaen:retribution, the first volume of the grydscaen saga. Faid is tired of life on the run in the Echelons, trying to keep his psychic power in check, he founds the Packrats establishing a safe haven for psychics. As a hacker he uses his jack to support his neurocyne habit. Lino is recruited by the Psi Faction and is sent on a mission to kidnap Faid. Riuho, Lino’s half brother becomes a prisoner of the Elite military and they experiment on him, train him and subject him to mind control, then send him out on a mission. On his return, Riuho is set on escaping and recruits Faid who hacks into the Psi Faction systems. They escape and return to the Packrats leading up to the start of grydscaen:retribution.

Xlibris

Has someone been instrumental in inspiring you to write?

There was a priest/monk who inspired me to write my college essays when I was a junior in high school and I got into the Ivy League college I wanted to go to and graduated from there. I think he inspired me to write from my heart and believe in my message. I have been writing like that ever since.

Who is your favorite author? Why?

I like William Gibson and Ann Rice, as well as Brett Easton Ellis. I think those 3 authors have inspired me in my writing. William Gibson for his edgy storytelling. Ann Rice for her vampire world view and Brett Easton Ellis because I can relate to his characters. Each of these three authors I have looked up to.

What was your first sale as an author?

I don’t think I remember my first sale but I can tell you that I did find a reader who read grydscaen: utopia and created a whole web page for the book and said that they learned something and would end up buying all my books. I think that is high praise from a reader. I think that was the most influential sale I received. Also I just had a sale last week of the grydscaen: war book when it became a top release in hard science fiction that was influential. I think that really had an impact.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

Hmm, that is a difficult question to answer because it has varied. I write when the inspiration hits me, that can be any time of day. But I guess you can say I write at night. I have this old Mac computer I use to write the books on. I have multiple computers actually but the old Mac which I can’t upgrade is tucked away in a corner of the main room with a printer and a Wacom tablet and seems to be where I write and proofread my books even thought I have more sophisticated computers with better memory and processing power.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?


The hardest part about writing the grydscaen series because it is an epic and there are multiple books is keeping the world straight. There are various political factions, government organization and nations in the story that are all vying for control be it the Atlantea Federation or the insurgent Pacific Territories. Keeping all that straight in your head when you are writing can prove difficult but you have to otherwise something will contradict and you can’t have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment